Saturday, August 9, 2014

Lunch Choice Station: Then & NOW!

My first year teaching, my three teaching partners all used lunch choice charts. I joined in because that's what you do when you are scrambling to put a classroom together in three days! However, I have used it ever since and thought it would be the perfect post to share with you...especially since it just got an overhaul!

I love my lunch choice chart! 

First, it keeps my classes student ID cards and Ziplock bags for lunch money organized and easy to find. It also makes my students accountable for making their choice right as they walk in the door every morning. Plus I can tell who is absent or who forgot to choose a lunch with just a quick glance!

Here is an example of my chart! 

Teaching and Learning...It's a Brainstorm Lunch Choice StationTeaching and Learning...It's a Brainstorm Lunch Choice Station
 I put student names on the colored tickets, the Ziplock bags roll up and slide right behind the tickets and the short pocket in front holds their ID cards. When students enter my classroom their grab their ID card and check out the lunch choices for the day. They choose between the hot lunch choices or lunch from home by placing their card in the corresponding pocket on the easel. I also keep my lunch count envelope and lunch signs stored in this easel. The clear tub below holds lunch boxes so my students don't have to run into the hall before lunch to get their things.

It was the perfect setup for me and my students....until I moved...again! 

My new room doesn't have enough space for both the chart and the easel. I found a home for the easel and I know where I want the chart, but the section of brick wall right inside my door is too small for my go to pocket chart! SERIOUSLY!

So as the crazy teacher I am, I have been on the hunt for a new chart that is smaller, yet still holds about 35 pockets. However, after a long search, I am sure that the ideal chart I have conjured up in my mind doesn't exist! Does anyone else do this? You get a great idea in your mind...yet you can't make it happen!
Story of my life!

Anyway, I figured out the next best solution!
A HANGING JEWELRY ORGANIZER!


Teaching and Learning...It's a Brainstorm Lunch Choice Station
I found this adorable chevron jewelry organizer at TJ Maxx for $7.99! 
The organizer has 33 pockets on each side, however I will only be using one side. I added my typical tickets after trimming them down to fit into the smaller pockets. I love it because even though the pockets are smaller they puff out and hold everything I need! I can still fit the Ziplock lunch money bags if I fold them in half and the student IDs can go right in front of their ticket.

Adorable + cheap = PERFECT!Once I get into my classroom I will post a picture of my new lunch chart!

Here is the tag, just in case you want to find one at your own TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Home Goods! 

2 comments:

  1. I love your crafts even though I'm not a teacher- you're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting and supporting my blog! You never know maybe a craft idea for school can also come in handy at home!

    ReplyDelete